Handmade Quality…..Some People Just Don’t Get It


For many years I have been crocheting, knitting, and sewing.  And while many people admire my work, some of them do not truly understand Handmade Quality.  I often get suggestions from people that I should sell my work….and then many of those same people BALK at my prices.

Just the other day I was wearing a simple summer sweater that I had made for myself. A woman working behind the counter remarked at how beautiful it was and let me know she had seen a similar sweater at the department store for “THIRTY EIGHT DOLLARS”!!!!! She thought it would be good business for me to whip some out and sell them.  I sort of chuckled and told her that I had spent almost that much with shipping on the yarn for the sweater I was wearing.  She looked at me sort of funny and asked if I could just make them using cheaper yarn.  I tried to explain that part of the beauty of my sweater was the yarn I used to create it.  Using cheaper yarn would only create a cheap sweater.  She then asked how much I would have to charge for the sweater I was wearing.  When I told her I would charge no less than $75 she quickly changed the subject.  What she doesn’t understand is the time that goes into handmade items and at THAT PRICE I would be working for poverty wages….and I crochet very quickly!!!

And then sometimes I am disheartened at how people disvalue my skills.  I have been working with fiber arts for many years, honing my craft.  And then at times, I am guilty of the same…..offering my handmade items for a pittance.  Mostly because I really want people to WANT to buy my craft. 

Don’t get me wrong….I have MANY faithful customers who understand and appreciate quality of handmade.  They understand quality materials and the time that goes into it and are willing to pay for my skills.  For the ones that don’t, I am learning to smile and to move on.

Has anyone else out there experienced the same???  Can you offer any advice on how you deal with this??  Please feel free to share in the comment section below.

Blessings!!!

Amy B

Comments

Popular Posts