Granny Square Memories!!


I was going through pictures tonight and came across this picture of the first blanket I made when I was pregnant with my first child.  That was more than 24 years ago!!  I had learned to make the Granny Square as a teenager and had the pattern memorized.  So in my spare time I chose this simple pattern that had been ingrained in my memory for many years.  

Last summer as we were packing up the house and putting everything into storage I came across the box that contained this first "hole blanket" as CL affectionately called it.  He also has a matching pillow that you may (or may not) be able to see in the box the blanket is draped over.  

Below is a pattern for the Basic Granny Square so you can learn to make your own. And check out my blog entry here as I went through my "stash busting" project, using up spare yarn and making different afghans using the Granny Square.  


BASIC GRANNY SQUARE PATTERN

Rnd 1:  Ch 4, working in 4th ch from hook, 2 dc, ch 3, [3 dc, ch 3] 3 times.  Sl st in top of beg ch 4 to join.  

Rnd 2: Ch 3, turn.  (2 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) in first ch 3 sp.  Skip next 3 dc, working in next ch 3 sp [3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc] 3 times.  Sl st in top of beg ch 3 to join. 

Rnd 3:  Ch 3, turn.  2 dc in sp below beg ch 3.  *Skip next 3 dc, (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) in next ch 3 sp **.  Skip next 3 dc, 3 dc in next sp.  Repeat from * two more times.  Repeat one more time ending at **.  Finish off  (or if you want a larger Granny Square, just keep going on in the same format). 

Be Blessed!!
Amy B

Comments

Popular Posts