Newborn Angel Wings and Peanuts the Elephant Hat Crochet Pattern Reviews

I've been doing lots and LOTS of crochet for little ones lately with having babies soon to be born into my family!!  And while I mostly design my own patterns, sometimes it's easier to purchase someone elses pattern.  I like to support others in the fiber arts as well, so when my niece found the patterns for the Angel Wings by MonkeyShine over at Craftsy and Peanuts the Elephant by LoveCityCrochet over at Etsy, I decided to purchase their patterns instead of designing my own.

Angel Wings by MonkeyShine
The Angel Wings are going to make such a BEAUTIFUL newborn photo!!!  They are made with Red Heart Clouds yarn and a size N crochet hook.  So it works up SUPER FAST!!!  I will warn you, if you have never worked with this yarn before PREPARE yourself as stitches are very hard to see!!  I did have a little difficulty with the stitch count on this pattern, and could not decide if it was the yarn being hard to see or the pattern being inaccurate.  I think the turning ch of each row is not counted in the row stitch count....but it does not specify.  She does however give GREAT pictures, it's easy to see what the next step is even if you can't verify your stitch count!!  I also like the option for adding pipe cleaners to the final round to make these slightly pose-able.  My great niece is going to look completely ANGELIC using these in her newborn photo shoot!!

Peanuts the Elephant by LoveCityCrochet
Don't you just LOVE baby elephants?!?!?!  My niece is going with an elephant theme for her new baby girl and this hat is just adorable!!!  She has designed this hat using Lion Brand Cotton Ease yarn and a size G hook.  I, on the other hand, used what I had on hand which was random brands of acrylic.  The pattern is a bit difficult to follow because it is not written in standard crochet terms.  Thankfully she has added LOTS of pictures to the pattern, so if there is a question about her written instructions you can just look at the picture and be able to figure out what she is saying.  Also, there is no gauge listed for the pattern OR finished dimensions for the four sizes that accompany this pattern.  I made the newborn size hat using the recommended hook size, but frankly unless this baby has a huge head it's likely she will not wear it for quite a while....but it's nice she will have something to grow into!!  I did make one major change to the pattern and that was for the Right Ear.  She does not give you separate instructions for each ear.....and that means the second ear is backwards :(  That bugs me.  But again....using her pictures I was able to easily modify the ear portion of the pattern so now I have two front facing ears :D

Happy Stitching!!!
Amy B

Comments

Popular Posts