Newborn Crochet Hat Pattern

I am sooooo excited to announce that I am going to be a GRANDMA!!!!


  I am EXTREMELY excited about all the new "stitching" possibilities that are now in my future!!  This design came to mind when I thought about one of the first things you need when you have a baby in the hospital.  You need a little hat!  Now....my grandbaby will be born in August....and it's really, REALLY hot in August.  So it can't just be ANY hat.  It needs to be something lightweight that can be used indoors to protect their precious little head from the air conditioning, and it also needs to be really SOFT.  I have an assortment of Patons Beehive Baby Sport yarn in my stash that I have decided to use.  It is soooo incredibly soft!!! The label says to use a size F hook.....but I think I crochet a bit loose, so I'm using an E.  Most of the hats I made so far have been one color, but I decided to make a two toned one that turned out simply precious.  This one is made by changing colors every two rows.  ENJOY!!

***Feel free to make as many of these as you want for profit, but remember to give credit to me, Amy B Stitched, or link back to this page!!***

Newborn Crochet Hat Pattern

Materials:
  • Patons Beehive Baby Sport yarn, light weight, skein is 3.5 oz and I believe I can make 2-3 hats from just one skein.
  • size E crochet hook
  • finishing needle
Stitches/Terms used:
  • ch - chain
  • lp(s) - loop(s)
  • sc - single crochet
  • st(s) - stitch(es)
Size: 5 1/2" x 12" (finished crochet piece)

Row 1: Ch 29. Working in the back ridge of the chain, sc across. (28 sc)
Row 2: Ch 1, sc in first 22 sts, sc in back lps only of last 6 sts.
Row 3: Ch 1, sc in back lp only of first 6 sts, sc in remaining sts across.
Repeat Rows 2 and 3 until piece measures 12".  Finish off leaving a long tail for sewing.

This is what your finished piece should look like before sewing it up.  I like
to finish crocheting at the ribbed edge, that way I can leave one REALLY
long piece for sewing up the side and closing the top.

First thing you will do is sew the side seam.  Secure your stitch at the top so
that the seam does not pucker as you stitch the top.

Weave your needle through the edges of the rows along the top of the hat,
gathering as you go.

Gather the top so that the opening is approx 3" when measured across the hat.
Secure the gather with a stitch,

Then, sew the seam across. Sew lightly so that it is not hard and bulky. Weave
in your ends. 

Be Blessed!!
Amy B

Comments

  1. Super cute little hats! Your grand baby is going to be the best dressed baby on the block! Sending warm thoughts to you and your family during this amazing time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele!!! Warm thoughts appreciated!! especially with this cold!!! LOL

      Delete
  2. Congrats on being a Grandma. How exciting. Do you know yet whether it is a girl or boy? Thanks for the hat pattern, really simple and looks really quick too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sara!! It's still pretty early on, so no, we don't know the sex yet! But gray is a nice color for a boy and can be dressed up for a girl....so that's kinda where I'm going right now :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. teaching myself how to crochet hoping i do this right . thanks for the pattern . if right i will do them for the newborns at our hospital

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I know this isn’t a recent post but just a quick question if you can remember. The picture looks to have a ribbed for the first inch, but the pattern is just repeating 3 rows.. am I seeing this incorrectly? How do you get that inch band if using the same stitches? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tj10, The end of row two and beginning stitches of row three form the rib look.
      Take a look at the first photo after the instructions, you will note the lower rows are different to those above. That is the rib look.

      Delete
  6. These are adorable, especially for new norms in the hospital. I’m going to make some and donate them to the hospitals! Thanks �� Dottie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts