Tis the Season to make a Beanie!!

It's been such a long time since I've posted ANYTHING....over a year!!!  It's not that I have not been stitching....quite the opposite.  I've just not been posting my patterns.  I've set out to change that!!!!

So I've been promising several people that I would get my crochet beanie written up and posted for such a long time....but since it's something I make without really thinking about it, I kept forgetting I was writing the pattern halfway through and would just crochet.  So FINALLY.....here it is!!!!  A basic double crochet beanie with changes for a child sized beanie following.  You can change up the look by changing yarn and striping the hat as shown in my first pic.  Or if you prefer smaller stripes, you can substitute 2 rows of sc for a row of dc as shown in my second pic.  As always, if you find any errors in my pattern please let me know in the comment section below.  Thanks for stopping by!!!  Amy B



The knob on my closet door was perfectly on the chin of my styrafoam head....I thought it looked like a little bit of a goatee and decided it was too cool to get rid of!!  LOL




BASIC DOUBLE CROCHET BEANIE PATTERN

Materials:

  • Size G crochet hook
  • Approx. 3 oz worsted weight yarn.

Stitches used:
            ch: chain
            sl st: slip stitch
            sc: single crochet
            dc: double crochet
            fpdc: front post double crochet (pic below)
            bpdc: back post double crochet (pic below)

Gauge: 11 dc = 3", 4 dc rows = 2"      
            
Rnd 1:
Ch 4, 11 dc in 4th ch from hook, sl st in top of beg ch to join. 
Rnd 2: Ch 2, 2 dc in each st around.  Sl st in 1st dc to join. (24 sts)
Rnd 3: Ch 2, * 2 dc in next st, dc in next st.  Repeat from * around.  Sl st in 1st dc  to join. (36)
Rnd 4: Ch 2, * 2 dc in next st, dc in next 2 sts. Repeat from * around. Sl st in 1st dc to join. (48)
Rnd 5: Ch 2, * 2 dc in next st, dc in next 3 sts. Repeat from * around. Sl st in 1st dc to join. (60)
Rnd 6: Ch 2, * 2 dc in next st, dc in next 4 sts. Repeat from * around. Sl st in 1st dc to join. (72)
Rnd 7-14:  Ch 2, 1 dc in each st around.  Sl st in 1st dc to join.
Rnd 15-16: Ch 1, * fpdc next st, bpdc next st.  Repeat from * around. Sl st in 1st fpdc to join.
Rnd 17: Ch 1, sc in each st around. Sl st in 1st sc to join. Finish off.


CHILDS HAT
Rnd 1-5: same as above.
Rnd 6- 12: Ch 2, 1 dc in each st around.  Sl st in 1st dc to join.
Rnd 13-14: Ch 1, *fphdc next st, bphdc next st.  Repeat from * around. Sl st in 1st fphdc to join.
Rnd 15: Ch 1, sc in each st around. Sl st in 1st sc to join.



fpdc: front post double crochet

bpdc: back post double crochet

Comments

  1. I found this men's tie pattern on the Free Vintage Crochet site that I thought you might like: https://freevintagecrochet.com/crochet-pattern/necktie-patterns

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do I know when to change yarn color for the 1st pic with the wide stripes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which row #s do I switch colors for the 1st pic wide striped pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It appears my first color change happens after the increases, so on row 7. This is just a guess as this blog post is from 2012 and the color changes weren't documented in the pattern. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  4. What sized head does the child's hat fit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, if you meet gauge, this hat will fit a head between 18-19 inches.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts